Friday, January 9, 2009

Who wants to be a 'millonaire'?


Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle, 2008)

This is a film that I’ll probably have to watch again to assess fairly. On the first viewing I was utterly captivated by the editing and cinematography, so much so that I didn’t even mind the unnecessarily cheesy emphasis on destiny (“it is written”), which would have made me gag in any other film. I did think it took away from what would have otherwise been an interesting commentary on different forms of knowledge and a privileging of the experiential knowledge of the poor over the type of knowledge sanctioned by and passed on through formal education. It’s highly possible, then, that on a second viewing I will be more frustrated by the film’s unrealized potential. For now, though, I think it’s nicely crafted and quite captivating. In fact, the film is oddly fun, considering its unyielding portrayal of life in the slums.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment