Monday, March 23, 2009

Favorite Film Characters

A film meme, lifted from Antagony & Ecstasy. Check his list out there at: http://antagonie.blogspot.com/

1) Name 10 film characters that are your favorite and explain why. We aren't talking about the actor who played them. Hamlet, Sherlock Holmes or Bond may be your favorite filmic sight on screen but you may hate the Mel Gibsons, Basil Rathbones or George Lazenbys who've played them. Of course no one's stopping you from mentioning your favorite players if you like.

2) Tag 5 more film bloggers when you're done, e-mail them, let 'em in on it, link back.

3) Read their posts and enjoy!

I've listed mine in chronological order:

1. Little Caesar (Rico),Little Caesar (1931): I had a tough time choosing a representative of the gangster genre for this list. I could just as easily slot Scarface’s (1932) Tony Camonte or Tommy Powers from The Public Enemy (1931) in here. But I love Edward G. Robinson’s naked ambition as Rico, and his death scene is one of the most memorable moments of any gangster film I’ve seen.

2. Peggy Sawyer, 42nd Street (1933): I’m cheating a bit here: truthfully, I just wanted a Ruby Keeler character on the list because she’s both memorable and typical of the chorus girl figure in early musicals. And what better Keeler chorine to pick than Peggy Sawyer? After all, she went out there a youngster, but she came back a star!

3. Joel Cairo, The Maltese Falcon (1941): You may say that Sam Spade is the more memorable character from Huston’s classic film, and you’re probably right. But I find Peter Lorre freakishly captivating (or captivatingly freakish) in every scene he’s in here. He is simply outstanding as the evil gay!

4. Phyllis Dietrichson, Double Indemnity (1944): The blogger that I stole this meme from beat me to this one, but Phyllis Dietrichson bears repeating. Double Indemnity is one of my all-time favorite films, and Phyllis defines femme fatale in it. She captivates with the simple allure of an anklet and constantly draws you in even though you know she’s deadly. “Suppose I let you off with a warning this time…”

5. Norman Bates, Psycho (1960): I tried to narrow myself to one Hitchcock character, which was quite a struggle. Ultimately, I went with Norman Bates primarily for his influence on later films and his deep psychological issues. But a few other characters from Hitchcock’s universe will always draw a powerful response from me. Lars Thorwald from Rear Window (1954) is one of them. In fact, I considered both L.B. Jeffries and Lisa Fremont, from the same film, for the list. But my own intense voyeuristic desire to see what was going on in Thorwald’s apartment elevates him above the other two. I also contemplated the merry widow murderer himself—Uncle Charlie from Shadow of a Doubt (1943): when he looks directly into the camera during the dinner scene, I still jump in my seat a bit.

6. Ellen Ripley: Alien (1979), Aliens (1986), Alien 3 (1992),Alien: Resurrection (1997): Ripley is probably the most badass female character of all time, whether she’s facing down giant alien queens (“get away from her, you bitch!”) or sacrificing herself (and the alien inside her) to a pit of molten lava in a gesture both maternal and Christlike.

7.Carl Spackler, Caddyshack (1980): I love Caddyshack, and it’s filled with hilarious characters that stick with you and really come alive. Carl Spackler stands out among them. He has some of the funniest lines in this (or any comedy) film, and Bill Murray delivers them with impeccable timing and physicality.

8. Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982): “Mr. Hand, will I make the list… Gee, Mr. Spicoli, I don’t know!” There were a lot of great characters in the 80s, but Spicoli remains one of my favorites, even if his type is now my nemesis in the classroom.

9. Dr. Hannibal Lecter, Silence of the Lambs (1991), Hannibal (2001), Red Dragon (2002): I’m not even sure how to begin explaining this choice, as it seems impossible to leave Dr. Lecter off of such a list. Granted, I was 10 whenSilence of the Lambs came out, and saw the film at a fairly young age, making Hannibal the Cannibal one of the most terrifying—and appealing—serial killers I’ve ever encountered. I’ve always been fascinated by him and longed to meet him—though I would probably run screaming from the room should such an event have occurred.

10. Rob Gordon,High Fidelity (2000): Let’s not kid ourselves, Rob makes the list because he hits just a little too close to home—obsessive, neurotic, snobby, geeky… I’ll stop there. Though I love John Cusack in almost everything he’s done, this will always be my favorite character of his. All too often I’ve wished Rob Gordon were real and would make me a mix tape…

Honorable Mention: Though he hasn’t been able to stand the test of time yet, one recent character that I believe will stick with me for quite a while is Randy “The Ram” Robinson, The Wrestler (2008). As the heart and soul of a moving and memorable film, The Ram has potential staying power, and will likely be tugging at my heartstrings for a few years at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment